Monday, December 22, 2008

Pining for Panettone

OK, Martha inspired me. She also made it look easy and I got caught up in the fantasy that I could actually replicate her sickly perfect desserts.

On a recent show she and a guest created homemade Panettone. The recipe had many steps, but looked doable- so I went for it.

The recipe is Panettone Casalinga and here’s the link: http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=ba535f872814e110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=ts_Homepage_Homepage
I had many issues with this recipe and my first attempt was a disappointment. The recipe calls for letting the dough rise for two hours between the last two steps. I did this but I had a few issues. The dough was incredibly sticky and almost impossible to work with get into the molds. I did use instant yeast rather than the regular yeast. I also put my dough into the paper molds you can buy at Chef Central and other specialty stores.

I was shocked when after only 20 minutes I could smell my panettone burning. I rushed to the oven and found the tops dark brown and smoldering a bit. I checked the inside of the of bread with a toothpick and it was still raw. I covered the tops with foil and reduced the heat from 375 to 350. I baked them for the full 45- 50 minutes.

After letting the panettone cool for an hour, I wrapped them in plastic wrap. The recipe said to store them in the refrigerator. The next morning my panettone had shrank to the size of a fruit cake. The bread was still delicious but it was also a bit dry on the inside. I was told my in-laws that it needed more fruit- real Italian panettone has more fruit.

On my second attempt I did a few things differently. This time I did use regular yeast. I let my sponge dough rise for about two hours rather than the 45 minutes called for in the recipe. I also let the dough rise about 3 hours in each of the following two steps resulting in a much fuller dough. I increased the candied orange slices from ¾ cup to 1 full cup and I also add ¼ of candied citron I had left over.

I started the oven on 350 instead of 375 to account for the paper molds. Regardless of the changes- my panettones again browned very quickly, but this time I was watching. After the first 20 minutes the top was perfectly brown but the inside still not cooked. I covered the panettone with foil on top and reduced the heat to 325. I kept them in the oven roughly 40-45 minutes. The toothpick test came out a little sticky but not wet. I figured these babies would cook a little more as they cooled.

This time I let my panettones sit and cool over the course of 4-5 hours. After that I wrapped them in plastic wrap and then cello wrap for giving. They held up- looking beautiful! Tonight we are giving them as gifts to family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment