Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

Lately it seems whenever I open a vegetarian cookbook or turn on the Food Network, I'm seeing a recipe for roasted fingerling potatoes. When I spotted them in the market the other day I grabbed a container along with a container of beautiful Cipollini onions.

There's all kinds of recipes for roasting these things. You can roast them whole sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt. You can cut them up and toss them in herbs and spices. The possibilities are endless.

Here's a few ideas to get you started. Purchase a small container of fingerlings-- about 15 potatoes. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together your favorite spices.

My ingredients:
Cumin
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Fresh black pepper
Sea salt
Adobe seasoning
Garlic powder

You can choose to add more or less of the spices you like. You can also some fresh chopped parsley or basil.

Add about 1/4 cup of olive oil to the bowl and mix all the spices together. Set aside.

Cut your potatoes. You can roast these whole but I cut them into lengthwise sections, either 2-3 sections per potato. Toss potatoes in olive oil and spices until well coated. Place on baking sheet.

I also cut some Cipollini onions, tossed them in the mixture and added them to the baking sheet. Note: there is a special way to peel these onions. I didn't have the time to do it correctly, so I cut them into quarters and removed the outer skins.

Bake for 45 minutes to one hour at 350 degrees. Turn once after 30 minutes. Place under broiler for a few minutes for extra crispy skins.

No comments:

Post a Comment